Monday, July 2, 2007

Kooskia, ID

Hello from Kooskia.

Yesterday we made it from near New Meadows, ID to Grangeville, ID. It was definitely the hottest day so far. Probably flirting with 100, mostly up in the high 90's. We rode along the Salmon River most of the day, a big enough river for whitewater rafting to be popular. I was wishing I could have been swimming instead of biking. I went to a quick dip (waist-deep) and it felt great. Too bad the legs haven't felt good at all lately.

Highs:
-showered this morning
-did laundry this morning
-ate a big dinner last night

Lows:
-legs are nearly fried, I'm really ready for a rest day
-broke a spoke yesterday afternoon, but then did a 2.5 hour climb after with it missing. That meant spinning in a really small gear
-Michael got a flat (not his fault, of course), but that meant sitting around in the baking sun.

I can't wait until tomorrow, when we go up and over the Lolo Pass, then get to see the Lolo Hot Springs! Also then we should be making it into Missoula by the late afternoon. My legs are soo toast. A massage would be nice. So would a day off the bike.

2 comments:

Barry said...

Stephen-- your blog is AMAZING! I'm totally living vicariously through you right now. Work's been good, I can tell you more about it later after I do some actually exciting stuff. Went to NYC this past weekend, going there again for the 4th (boss let me take off Thursday and Friday!). Really glad you found someone else to ride with!

I must say, what's most impressive to me is the mix of unbridled wilderness (5000' climbs, wildfires, camping), small-town America (rodeos and librarians), and technological wizardry (internet, getting fancy new bike seats and gadgets at random bike shops along the way? unless you brought them with you...) that you're experiencing. More power to you, man.

Hope Missoula has good fireworks! Shoot me an e-mail if you get a chance.

Eagerly awaiting your next entry(ies),

-Barry

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephen,
Happy 4th... seems you are experiencing nature at its best. Enjoy for all of us and be safe.

Chitra & Alf