Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Marion, KY


Illinois!

Those horns aren't fake.


A free slice of pie to all bikers


The ferry that took us across the Ohio River to Kentucky.


Hello from Kentucky!

July 30th - Murphysboro, IL to Golconda, IL - 80 miles

Yesterday I rode all day with Adam Campbell, who is also headed to Harrisonburg to live with his girlfriend. Nice guy, good to ride with. I rode with him this morning so far up to today too, but I'll probably go ahead because I'm trying to do a bit more miles per day than he is.

The ride yesterday was pretty scenic, with the TransAm Trail taking us through back roads almost the entire time. There wasnt much traffic at all, and I got to meet with good people when I stopped. My legs are feeling pretty good, as I've had two days in a row only around 80 miles.

Highlights--
1. Free slice of pie at Dulaneys Restaurant in Goreville, IL. They have a tradition of giving away a free dessert to all cyclists, so that was excellent. Homemade apple pie.

2. Seeing some huge lognhorn cattle -- these horns were as thick as my leg, and probably 3' long on each side...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephen. It is great to see the Progress You make every day!! Now You are in KY! I look often, on the Map to find out how fare You got. Well , about 2 more Week's and You will be in Maryland! Looking forward to see You . Be careful , boy this Bull's have BIG HORN"S!!! Love , Jim and Rosel.

Unknown said...

i like the "only 80 miles" for two days part - i'm freakin impressed by your milage. the horns look awesome as well - never realized they got that big.
niv

ashveena said...

Kentucky!!! I'm so excited for you. Take care

kidRising said...

Whhaaa how dem cows get such big horns?? They musta been eatin their vitamins. Anyways, I'm jealous as usual. Death machine cows and free pie.

Cause those cows were so cool I looked online for cooler cows and I could only find this one:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/HighlandCow.01.jpg
but you might see it somewhere.

Anyways, you're thighs seem to have leaned a bit, no longer pregnant with watermelon like they used to be. But it's ok, you'll get it back.

Also this is sorta like a physics 7b discussion reunion^^ on blogger. Niice.

Good luck girl.

-Nivay

kidRising said...

Sorry I messed the link up for the cool cow:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:HighlandCow.01.jpg

Anonymous said...

Hey Stephen!!DUDE YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! When your Dad first told me about this trip, I thought you had fallen of your rocker. I've been telling everyone I know down here about you, and some of them are actually keeping up with your blog. So now you have a fan club, albeit small, down here in A town. Good look and you actually look better then I thought you would look. TURN THE PEDALS!!!!
Eddie