Thursday, July 19, 2007

Eads, CO

Hi from Eads!

First, let me say a few things. Thanks to both Barry and Jeff for giving me some directions over the past few days when I didnt have a map. Both cases it was really me not going far enough on whatever road I was on, but its good to have friends to be able to call for help. Also, thanks again to Dave and Paula for letting me stay at their place. To clarify any confusion, Dave and my dad used to work together, and thats how I know them.

July 18th - Colorado Springs, CO to Ordway, CO - 120 miles, 7 hours!

Yesterday was definitely the fastest day of my trip. I had a good tailwind all the way from Colorado Springs down to Pueblo. I also lost about 2500' of elevation, which also helped. That ride was pretty enjoyable once I got away from Colorado Springs, because I took some nice back roads. Unfortunately, one of these back roads that I planned on taking was all dirt-- but the tailwind made it bearable.

After lunch, it was soooo hot. It must have been over 100 degrees, especially with the heat of the pavement radiating up at me. I plodded along, stopping multiple times for cold water, cold gatorade, cold ice cream, and more cold water.

It cooled down after a bit, and my legs felt better. They kept feeling better as I rode further, which seemed odd. I decided to push it a bit more, and slowly my speed was creeping up from 15, to 17, to nearly 20mph. This was weird. I realized that tailwind had been building behind me, pushing me along. Along with that wind was a rather large storm off to my right. It was pretty to watch from afar, lightning every now and then, with rain bursting down from the clouds. I kept a good eye on it, and it didnt seem to get any closer, so that was good.

I'll call it.. bike-surfing? Storm surfing?

Here's the better part. A new storm developed even closer, off to the left side of the road. This was a little too close, so I stopped every now and then, but the wind was so strong that it was getting somewhat hard to stand, when it gusted. I decided to get back on the bike and ride it out, letting it push me along at a leisurely 25 mph. The storm pushed me all the way to Ordway, and it was amazing. I've never ridden in such a strong tailwind. It was so strong that I couldnt put up my tent at the end of the day, because I was scared of it breaking a pole. Exciting stuff.

July 19th - Ordway, CO --?? 60 miles completed so far miles, 5 hours!

Now.. today has been a different story. I've had horrible headwinds all day, at times crawling at 8mph on a flat road. The library is closing, I've got to go. Anyway, everyone please hope that the wind changes direction, or I'll never make it.

This is the last town before I get to Kansas....which might be later tonight. That's my goal.

2 comments:

Loretta said...

Hey Stephen, glad to read that your doing well and making good progress. Michael is having horrible head winds today too. Of course, I have talked to him many times ;). My family and our friends went up Trail Ridge Road yesterday and I almost had a heart attack when I realized that is what you all rode your bikes on! Anyways thanks for riding with Michael for so long, we all felt better with you two together - and maybe you'll run into each other again. Stay safe and keep pedaling :D
Peace,
Loretta (aka Michael's girlfriend)

Unknown said...

Dude, 7 pounds. We won't even recognize you when you get back. Once we get a little speed work back in your legs you'll be ripping us all apart on the dirt.