Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Chanute, KS

Hello from Chanute!

July 23 - Hutchinson, KS to Rosalia, KS - 85 miles

So yesterday I rode 85 miles, but that was because I had a late start, around 11:30am. The first 30 miles to Newton were along busy US freeways, so it was pretty busy and boring. However, I found an old Kansas license plate on the side of the road, which will probably be my only souvenir for the trip.

On the bad side, Alia left for Ireland for two weeks, so don't be suprised if you get a random call from me when I'm bored.

I was able to stop at this great whole foods store, the only one of its kind I had seen in Kansas. I stocked up on pasta, yogurt covered pretzels, and other goodies, and had an amazing lunch (this place was in Newton).

The ride out to Rosalia was pretty nice--very little traffic and short, gently rolling hills, with some somewhat steep kickers. Nothing bigger than the Brazil Building hill in Tilden in Berkeley, but that can still be tiring after doing 20 of them. I ate a good dinner of organic spinach whole wheat pasta for dinner--and then tried to map out the next day.

So.... my project of the day was to try to count how many calories I'm eating per day. This is what I ate yesterday:

Item Calories
2 bananas 172/per
2 doughnuts 500/per
1 nature valley honey and oats bar 180
naked juice 300
pasta salad - 1/4 lb? 400 (estimate)
2 roast beef wraps 500/per
1/2 lb spinach whole wheat pasta 500
1/2 lb peanut butter covered pretzels 1200 (estimate)

Grand total: 4924 calories!

Alright.. now I see why I'm losing weight. This is probably an underestimate, but still, I need to try to eat more. I bet that pasta has more calories, but I should eat more. It's tough though. A few websites said that biking you burn roughly 700 calories per hour, at an average of 14 mph. I might not be going that fast, but I'm probably pretty close. Plus I'm pulling 40-50 lbs of weight, so I'm likely burning 30% more than that. So.. I'm burning at least 4000 calories per day.

Ok... time to go eat some food. I guess its hard out here to keep myself busy.. I wish I had some music to listen to. Yelling at cows only goes so far.

3 comments:

ashveena said...

Call me Call me I miss you! I'm free everyday after 3:30. Ps: I think you overestimated the peanut butter covered pretzels - only about 700 calories or so for half a pound =( Eat more pasta and protien. Don't come back emaciated!

Love,
Ash

Anonymous said...

You probably need to eat 10,000 calories or more -- like training for triathalon but worse -- keep eating and keep pedaling --
Michael's mom
Kathleen

Mom said...

You've also overestimated bananas, not that it's much, but my chart has them at 105 cals per. Fruit doesn't pack as much in calories as carbs, but they have other good stuff like potassium, which helps with salt loss from sweating. You do need to eat more, anything that appeals to you. Don't forget to drink enough water!