Saturday, June 30, 2007

Cambridge, ID

Hello from IDAHO!!! Its great to be in the next state.

I was having some knee issues (right knee) at the end of the day yesterday--I took some painkillers, and it went away, but it came back this morning. It was getting kinda bad, but it wasn't hurting off of the bike, so I thought it must have been bike related. I moved my right cleat back a little bit, and the pain was almost instantly gone.

A list of pains so far:
Crotch numbness-- solved by getting a new Brooks Saddle-- it has been amazing
Foot numbness-- solved by the saddle, maybe (more bloodflow to the legs?) or maybe not riding as hard
Knee-- caused by the changed position when I put on the new saddle, but fixed by the cleats

SO MUCH STUFF HAS HAPPENED and I don't have time to write about all of it.

Friday: Austin Junction, OR to Halfway, OR (108 miles)
-we rode into town late, but there was a REAL LIFE RODEO that was going on that was amazing
-we only got to see two guys trying to rope down a horse, but it was pretty cool. Michael got a video
-there were these amazing canyons that we rode down from Baker City to Halfway were unlike anything I've ever been in before. It was downhill all the way, and we had a great tailwind so that pretty much pushed us along. At some points, the crosswinds were so bad Michael got blown over with his bike when we stopped
-small-town America is exactly like it is in the movies--everyone is white, nice, and wears a cowboy hat

Today: Halfway, OR to New Meadows, OR (100+ miles)
-started off heading into Hells Canyon, gorgeous scenery, rode along the Snake River
-saw a wildfire being put out by firefighters, two helicopters were involved. They flew down ~10-20 feel above the river, dipped their buckets in, then took off and dumped the water
-right now, the librarian at the library I'm in is calling people to let them they have books that are overdue. AMAZING. Take that yuppie suburbs.
-I'm really hungry
-My legs feel a lot better now that I've fixed my cleat position.
-I just rode myself into the Mountain Time Zone! Time to change the clocks forward an hour.
-I am falling in love with sunscreen, it helps a lot

I am losing track of time being on the road day in and day out. Also more good news, I think Michael is going to shift around some rest days to try to take a day off in Missoula, then I'll probably ride with him all the way to Colorado.

I'm doing great guys, its great to be out here. Miss you all.

No comments: