Monday, June 25, 2007

Redmond, OR

Well, we've already been through this town, but Daan and I unfortunately had to hitch a ride back. We got as far east as the Ochoco Pass (about 30 miles east of Prineville, OR). Let me recap the past few days.

Saturday - rode from Blue River, OR across the McKenzie Pass, through Sisters, OR, to just east of Redmond, OR. We "stealth-camped" as its called, just off the side of the road on a side-street. We weren't bothered at all, so that was good. Total mileage was around 80 miles or so. Had to end the day because Daan was getting pain in the knee, and we were both tired. This was the same pain that he once had that stopped him from running about a year ago. Not good news.

Sunday - Daan's knee pain wasn't any better in the morning, so we decided to call it a rest day. We made it to the next campsite, at the Ochoco Creek State Campground (or something similar), while spending some time in Prineville, OR along the way. Apparently Prineville is the oldest town in Eastern Oregon.

Today - the knee pain still didn't get much better... sadly. We made it about 20 miles out of the campground nearly to the top of the next 4700' pass, but then his pain was too much--couldn't turn the pedals over anymore. Sad Day.

We ended up spending the next five hours or so trying to hitch-hike, which was a LOT harder that we expected. I guess it was because we had so much gear, we needed a big truck to pick us up. Luckily America loves their trucks. In the meantime I read a book while waiting for cars to come. Thanks to a gent named Eric who picked us up, and drove an extra 40 miles to get us back here to Redmond, OR.

So, what does this mean? Daan's going to head back home, maybe? We're still not sure. I think I'm going to load up on all the stuff that Daan was carrying that I need (cooking gear, etc.) and keep going. Maybe Daan will join me back up in Colorado with Jamie, but we'll see.

It's going to suck continuing alone. A lot. I'm not sure what my choices are though, I guess I could go back to Berkeley, but I really want to finish out the trip. So far it seems that everyone else that has been touring out on the road has been doing it solo.

Lets hope that knee gets better.

No comments: