Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Wytheville, VA

Lets see.. I'm getting further and further into Virginia.

August 6th - Rosedale, VA to Troutdale, VA - 60 miles

Yesterday I did a short day, which was short because of a late start, a long lunch break, and an early end. Go figure. I was rather slow getting out of the motel in the morning, and then spent a good amount of time in Damascus, VA. That town is a little hiker/biker town--there's this trail called The Virginia Creeper Trail, a converted rails-to-trails that attracts a lot of tourists. They get shuttled up to the top of the hill, and enjoy a nice leisurely ride about 15 miles down. Sounds good to me. Both the TransAmerica Trail and the Appalachian Trail both pass through there too.

I ended up in Troutdale, VA just because I was pretty tired. It was about 6:30pm, and it looked like there was some rain up and over the next hill. The First Baptist Church in this town had a little hiker/biker hostel, with warm showers and a covered roof to sleep under, so I took advantage of it and just stayed there. Sure enough, about 20 minutes after I stopped, it was thundering and raining hard enough to make me appreciate not being on my bike.

I fell asleep around 9:00pm last night, and got up at about 8:00 this morning. I've been pretty tired lately. Less than a week left! By next Tuesday, I'll be in Ocean City. Today I'm going to get at least to Radford, VA, because supposedly there is a guy that puts up bicyclists there.

1 comment:

Mom said...

You sound like you are losing some steam, understandable since you've just ridden what - 4000 miles? Pretty amazing! Just keep your strength and energy up, keep eating! Don't kick yourself for low miles, you have time to slow down now, and enjoy the scenery of the Blue Ridge Mtns. You should be very proud of yourself, you're almost there!