Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Jebel Toubkal

Yes, I am now in the 4000m club, with the summit at 4167m.

Alia and I couldn't even find the trail from the refuge the day before in the daytime, we knew it would be difficult at night. The refuge is this big stone cabin where most trekkers spend the night before summiting, as we did too (at least until our 2:30am departure.) Made the summit in time to view the sunrise, and incredibly glad we hired a guide to take us in the dark. And it was all downhill from there.

And now time for a mini-quiz!

Multiple choice:

1. What ailments did Stephen have starting halfway down and until the next morning?
a) altitude sickness
b) bacteria gone wild
c) dehydration
d) excessive exposure to the heat
e) alllll of the above

2. What drugs has Stephen tried to cure himself?
a) advil
b) immodium
c) ciproflaxin
d) pepto bismol
e) all of the above (though not immodium and cipro at the same time because that is bad)

True/False
3. Stephen has gotten Alia sick (true/false)
4. Lance Armstrong is the man (true)

Six days to go!

4 comments:

Sean S said...

I'm sorry, but it's the 5000m club. 4000 just doesn't cut it ;) It's an achievement, but you can always go higher. Anyway, I'm insanely jealous, and it looks like Morocco is going to be one of those "must go" destinations if ever I find myself in that region, especially with a bike.

stephen said...

Yeah, it would be amazing on a bike, except the traffic here is crazy. I think all riding would have to be done between 7-10am, before people really wake up, unless you could put together some sort of off-road trek. Now THAT would be sweet. Just have to get used to eating tagine every day...

Sean S said...

Can't be any worse than Kathmandu on a bike. You'd be surprised at how ballsy you get on the bike.

Oh, and I also vote for 1)e 2)e and 3)true.

Donna Lynn said...

ok - 1) I vote for b) bacteria. Your stomach is not cast iron. I'd assume you'd take enough water! and aren't mountains cooler up top? Haven't you been higher crossing the rockies?
2) I vote for e) everything - because why not? and
3) true - I'm sure you got Alia sick, just works that way. Sorry Alia.
Can't wait to see photos of that sunrise!