Friday, June 5, 2009

Ougadougou

Tonight is our second night in Ougadougou. Tomorrow we head to Mali, and spend the night in no-mans-land, in the space between leaving Burkina Faso and entering Mali.

Dogon trek and Timbuktu lay ahead.

The random hotel where we're camping has internet, but none of the other internet cafes here have had a live connection.

We cooked a mean chicken stir fry for dinner--and baked goods are cheap enough here that I think I'll be passing on the cookies, but thanks for the recipes. Also, Sean, are you trying to kill Alia? I'm pretty sure groundnuts = peanuts = death, but I'll have to try that one once we get home.

Temperature reports are somewhere between 90-110F in the daytime, the thermometer that Alia got for me said something around 100 today. It has gotten a lot drier since we got to Burkina Faso, quite nice to be out of the humidity. I think I'm drinking somewhere from 5-8 liters of water per day.

So far my stomach has been doing well, and it's been a week since arriving in Accra. Typically it gave way about 10 days into each China trip, which places that right in the middle of the Dogon trek (I think). Let's hope my pepto and immodium will hold me through.

Had a really bizarre night tonight, and probably a new record for time it took to get dinner, about two hours for a bad cheeseburger.

I can't wait to play some soccer.

1 comment:

Sean S said...

ooo....I forgot about the whole nut thing. My Bad. Since that throws a wrench in things, how about trying to make a soto chicken soup?

Chicken simmered in a pot with vegetables, salt, ginger, hot peppers, touch of garlic, and maybe some spices like star anise and Turmeric. When it's all good and simmered (maybe 1 hour) about , squeeze in a few limes to give it a tart flavor, and mix in fresh chopped cilantro as you like. Enjoy!